Hello foodie! Welcome and join us as we walk you through this recipe on how to make or cook Plantain Pepper Soup from scratch to finish.
Plantain pepper soup is one of the popular soups in Nigerian cuisine. It’s comforting, it’s filling, and it’s a great way to utilize unripe plantains, which are a nutritious powerhouse and are very good for your health. Here is how to make plantain pepper soup the traditional way.
Plantain pepper soup is rather easy to make and most of the ingredients are probably already present in your pantry or fridge. The classic way to make plantain pepper soup is with goat meat, but you can substitute it with any of your favourite protein and simply adjust the cooking time. Here is a list of ingredients for making plantain pepper soup:
- 2 Unripe plantains .
- 600g of Goat meat.
- 1 small Red onion.
- 2 Scotch bonnet peppers.
- 2 cloves of Garlic.
- 2 Stock cubes.
- 1/2 teaspoon of minced ginger.
- 1/2 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons of Pepper soup spice.
- Basil leaves or utazi leaves – to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Vegetable oil
How To Make Plantain Pepper Soup
Do you want to make a steaming pot of goat meat plantain pepper soup? Follow these easy recipe/steps for the most exquisite taste and amazing flavour:
- Peel and chop the onion and the garlic. You can mince the garlic very finely; as for the onion, you can make the pieces as big or as small as you like.
- Wash and slice the goat meet.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a pot. Put the goat meat, onion, garlic, salt, and crushed stock cubes into the pot. Stir, lower the heat, and allow to simmer under a lid for 5-7 minutes to release the natural flavours.
- Open the lid, pour enough water to cover the meat, bring up to a boil, and cook for 10 minutes.
- While the meat is being cooked, wash and peel the plantains. Chop them into bite-sized pieces and add to the pot.
- Stir the soup and cook for an additional 20 minutes or until the meat and the plantains are soft enough. If you don’t have enough water in the pot, you can top it off.
- When the meat and the plantains are nearly cooked, add the chopped peppers and pepper soup spice. Stir, add more water if necessary, and cook for a couple of minutes more until the meat and the pepper are completely ready.
- Add the basil leaves or utazi leaves, stir, and turn off the heat. Serve immediately while hot!
Your pepper soup is done. If you want to try different flavours, you can experiment with proteins: for example, substitute goat meat with catfish or another fish you have at hand. You can also upgrade the flavour of your plantain pepper soup by adding dried fish and crayfish. This soup tastes great on its own, but you can serve it with a cold beverage to balance out the heat.
For general fashion and lifestyle inspiration on Instagram, tap that Follow button – @stylishgwin_africa
See also: How To Cook Nigerian Black Soup
Looking for a custom-made style for you, your wife/hubby or kids? We’re here for you..! Contact us today to have us tailor a dress for you.