You’re a man who avoids being in suits because the technicalities and rules confuse you? I get it!
In this article, I’ll spoon-feed you 7 (seven) tips to note before you consider wearing a suit next time. As a man in suit, you must do the following
1. Understand what a suit consists of.
A man’s suit is a jacket and pair of trousers made of the same material but not necessarily the same color.
Don’t mistake wearing a pair of trousers with a jacket as a suit without consideration for the semblance of the fabric.
2. Decide what’s best for you- an online or offline purchase:
After deciding what’s best for you, get conversant with phrases like ‘off the rack,’ ‘custom,’ and ‘bespoke.’
- Off the rack – These are readily-made suits and waiting for you to buy. For most people, this will work fine – and you’ll find the best deals here.
- Custom or made to measure – This implies that the suit is made to accommodate your calculations of various pre-cut pieces. This is a great choice, especially if you struggle to get your perfect size in ready-made outfits.
- Bespoke – signifies that it’s produced from scratch to match your specifications. You give instructions on what you want, and your designer simply listens and designs. However, I don’t advise that your first suit be BESPOKE. Custom-tailored suits are a crafted work of art and are much higher in cost.
For better customer service, go to a quality store where you can enjoy a session with a specialist who can recognize your body type and which styles and tones will look best on you.
3. Choose quality fabric:
What makes a quality suit material can’t be totally defined. Seek your designer’s advice for the material of super quality.
I recommend navy, charcoal, or gray for a suit color, and I consider light gray and blue too casual. If it’s your first suit and you don’t intend to get another until after a long while, you can do black.
Avoid noticeable patterns until you’re on your third, fourth, or fifth suit. A small pattern that is hardly noticeable is good.
4. Choose Function Over Fashion:
You need to make an ageless suit that will serve you years from now, not a style that will be outdated in a year. Your choice of a suit can be innovative yet trendy in the long term.
5. Choose the right Suit buttons:
When buying a man’s suit, stay away from the one, four, and five-button suits. The two-button suit will be the best choice for the majority because it has a great classic look. If you’re taller and want to look more formal, you can go with three-button suits. You can pick something between 2 and 3 button suits- a two and a half button’ suit.
6. Chose the right vents:
Do you notice the split part of any suit behind? That’s what is called a vent. It is a slit in your jacket that allows you more room to move. It can be a single vent, double vent, or zero vent.
Zero vents: Zero vent suits mean no vent suit, and they are mostly found in custom and Italian suits. If you want a zero vent suit, note that it only looks fine for as long as your hands are never caught in your pockets. If you want to create a slimmer frame while in a suit, a zero vent suit is your best choice.
Recommended: How to Dress Top Notch – 5 Rules for Men
Single Vents: The single vent can be really awful. Everyone can see your backside when your hand is tucked in your pocket with it.
Double Vents: The double vent is often considered the best. When walking, it creates a more streamlined look and never shows your backside.
7. Choose your shoes rightly:
The appropriate shoe for a suit is Black Balmoral Oxford. Sneakers with a suit are best reserved for guys with some serious rock star attitude.
Loafers are informal except worn with casual suits. The approval of a certain kind of shoe with a suit is also determined by a place. For example, you can wear loafers in a United States of America suit.
As a man in a suit, understand that fashion is what you’re offered by designers while style is what you choose. People will stare, making it worth their sight.
For general fashion and lifestyle inspiration on Instagram, tap that Follow button – @stylishgwin_africa
See also: How to Look Dress Like a Male Celebrity
Looking for a custom-made style for you, your wife/hubby or kids? We’re here for you..! Contact us today to have us tailor a dress for you.