Even before the outbreak of the global pandemic caused by the novel corona virus, security of lives and properties have been a cause of major concerns all over the world, especially in developing and under developed countries. With the corona virus pandemic however, this threats to lives and properties has become even more more glaring and exacerbated by a lot of social changes and polity.
Places like Nigeria are experiencing serious insecurities that leaves lots of people and their properties exposed, almost defenseless against these threats.
I for one believe its important for one to be able to contribute and be committed to his/her security and that of his/her family and never solely depend on the government (who obviously have only displayed gross incompetence) for their security.
Without further ado, here are some safety and security tips that we consider crucial for your safety and of those you care about.
NB: some of these info are peculiar to people living in Nigeria, but may be applicable to those in other climes facing similar security threats.. We also included safety and security tips while traveling to or within Nigeria.
Safety And Security Tips For Securing the home:
1. Always make sure all doors, windows and gates are proper locked.
2. Ensure your house is bugglary proofed, by installing iron bars and protectors
3. Ensure your cielings can not be accessed from the out outside when designing or leasing a home: all manholes must be inside the house.
4. Never leave spare keys under the door mat or places that are obvious.
5. Never leave notes outside the house (eg, for a household member) informing when you would be home or away.
6. Get familiar with faces in your locality and be alert and vigilant about new and strange faces in your locality. If you suspect unusual movement, communicate with neighbours and set up surveillance.
7. Never admit a stranger into your compound without confirming their identity. Confirm who they say they are or where they’re from.
8. Do not leave phones, wallets, jewelries or any valuables near the window where it could be easily snatched.
9. At night, all corners of the yard should be well lightened
10. Install alarms and sensors
11. If possible, have a CCTV installed at strategic positions around the house.
12. Have the phone numbers of your local police, security watch or local vigilantes in case of emergencies.
13. If ever you are going to be away for a long time, have a trusted person look over the house while you are away.
14. Install a video door or gate bell.
15. And lastly, have a guard dog or two. This always comes in handy, who has a compound with good guard dogs can not easily be caught unaware.
Watch out for our piece on “top 5 or 10 best guard dog you can get in Nigeria”
Safety And Security Tips For While walking
1. Always walk with confidence: if you walk with your heads up and shoulders high in a way that shows confidence (not necessarily with swagger that shows arrogance), chances are that no one will wants to mess with you compared with when you walk like someone who fear is written all over.
2. Build your muscles to get that fit look that gives people the impression that you are strong and not likely an easy prey.
3. Invest in learning martial art or any defence skill in case you will need it.
4. Have consealable weapons on you at any given time if you know you might be walking in a dangerouse terrain and be sure to know how to use it for a quick get away or to dislodge your attackers
5. Never go out without letting your folks know about your whereabouts.
6. Do not go into a strange neighborhood as a child or a lady unaccompanied.
7. Avoid ever visiting a strange on unfamiliar terrain at night.
8. When walking the streets, ensure they would be well lit at night, or avoid going in the night.
9. While walking in the nights, avoid use of headphones which may distract your attention from suspicious noises or movement.
10. Avoid carrying on your personal valuable items, especially in the night and in a strange neighborhood.
11. Walk with high luminous touch to light your way, with or with no streetlights .
12. Walk with your guard dogs, as hardly anyone would want to mess with you if you are in a company of a fierce looking guard dog.
13. If you are visiting a friend, you want to ensure they live in a place that is safe for you, and at an appropriate time.
Safety And Security Tips When With Your Car
1. Ensure your car is locked properly wherever you are parked.
2. Avoid parking in an isolated area.
3. At night, always park at well litted areas of the streets
4. Don’t give ride to random strangers.
5. Be vigilant of happenings around you while driving
6. Turn the music or a radio Down a notch
7. If you suspect someone is trailing you, do not walk directly to your car,
8. Ensure your car keys are in hand before getting close to your car.
9. Observe your environment for clues of safety threats.
10. Put a tracking device on your car
Should you be under a robbery situation:
1. Do not panic. The moment panic sets you, the likelihood of you acting foolishly is high, and this could spell death or serious injury.
2. If your attacker or attackers are armed and you are not sure of your ability to disarm them, just comply with their demands and save yourself from death or injury.
3. If your attackers are not masked, you don’t want to make deliberate eye contacts in view to identifying them, be subtle in doing that.
4. If you sense danger, be ready for a quick getaway when the opportunity arise.
5. Shout for help if you are certain its of any good..
While traveling along the high ways: .
1. Be informed and aware of areas under high security alert for kidnappings, armed robberies and carjacking and avoid it at all cost. Alternatively, travel by air.
2. Avoid night travels by all means. This is important, as night is usually a perfect time for robbers, kidnappers and murderers to carry out their operations.
3. Have a concealable weapon somewhere within your car or person. You don’t know when you will need it.
4. Avoid driving yourself if your are not familiar with the routs, instead, board a public transport.
5. While boarding a public transport, you must never enter by the road sides. Ensure to go with a registered transport company and must move from their approved park.
6. Do not give lifts to random strangers.
7. Trust your instinct at all times
This is by no means an exhaustive list, so let’s hear from you too in the comments. What are those safety and security tips you think we may have missed?
For general fashion and lifestyle inspiration on Instagram, tap that Follow button – @stylishgwin_africa
See also: Ankara Wedding Styles
Looking for a custom-made style for you, your wife/hubby or kids? We’re here for you..! Contact us today to have us tailor a dress for you.