Hello, in the face of the current global outbreak (Covid-19), it has become a necessity for us to sensitize our readers on how best to stay safe during this trying period. In that regard, we’ll be teaching you how to produce hand sanitizers at home.
Hand sanitizer became one of the most valuable commodities around the world since the beginning of the coronavirus outbreak. Unfortunately, hand sanitizer is also very hard to buy these days, as most stores ran out of the product. Not to worry, here you can learn how to make your own hand sanitizers in any quantity at home.
What Ingredients Do You Need?
The main ingredient in a homemade hand sanitizer is alcohol – it is the compound responsible for killing the germs and preventing the spreading fo the disease. However, rubbing your hands with pure alcohol can make your skin very dry and irritated. To make a small batch of hand sanitizer, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2/3 cup of 99% rubbing alcohol
- 1/3 cup of aloe vera gel
- Several drops of your preferred essential oil
Additionally, you will need a few pieces of equipment that you likely already have at home: a mixing bowl and spoon, a funnel, and an empty bottle – you can use a leftover bottle from old hand sanitizers, skincare products, or liquid soap.
Ideally, the bottle for your hand sanitizer will have a pump, but even if not, a regular bottle where the product will pour from a small opening should also be completely fine.
How To Make Hand Sanitizers
The process of making hand sanitizer at home is much easier than finding hand sanitizer for sale or, sometimes, sourcing the ingredients for homemade hand sanitizers. The production of hand sanitizer takes just two easy steps:
- Measure and pour the rubbing alcohol, aloe vera gel, and 8 to 10 drops of essential oil into a mixing bowl. Mix well with a spoon to achieve a smooth consistency.
- Pour the mixture into a bottle, attach the lid, and use as a regular hand sanitizer.
3. How To Use Hand Sanitizer
When you prepare a big batch of hand sanitizer, your first instinct may be to use it all the time and even instead of hand soap. However, there are a few important rules to follow with using hand sanitizer if you want to minimize the possibility of getting infected:
- When your hands are very dirty and greasy – for example, if you have been recently handling food or soil – hand sanitizer may not be particularly effective. If possible, you should try washing your hands with soap or cleaning them with wet wipes before applying sanitizer.
- Apply a few drops of hand sanitizer to the palms of your hands. Rub your hands on one another for up to 30 seconds, covering every part of your hands, including the spaces between your fingers.
- If you have a sensitive task to perform – for example, before handing out food or giving medical care – the best option is to first wash your hands with high-quality soap for 20 seconds and then applying hand sanitizer. However, if you often follow that routine, your hands can become dry very quickly. That is why you may need to apply hand cream whenever possible to heal the skin on your hands.
- Hand sanitizer can also be used to disinfect certain objects – for example, the doorknobs and electric switches in your home, especially the ones you inevitably touch after coming home before properly washing your hands.
Express your thoughts in the comments section below
For general fashion and lifestyle inspiration on Instagram, tap that Follow button – @stylishgwin_africa
See also: How To Cook Nigerian Black Soup