Hello there, today we’re looking at how we can easily make African egg roll from scratch to finish. If you want to know how egg rolls are made then follow this recipe.
The African Egg roll is entirely different from the famous Chinese Egg Roll. In Africa, we prepare our version of Egg Roll just as the name implies. It is boiled Egg wrapped in a mass of dough and deep-fried.
This Egg roll is often sold as street food in West Africa. However, Tea lovers can have this for breakfast. Also, you can serve it with a glass of cold juice for brunch; For me, I eat this any time of the day – and I must add, it is a very filling snack.
- Do not wrap all the eggs at once except you are ready to fry them right away. Only wrap as you fry. If you do otherwise, the dough around the egg will continue to rise. This will cause the dough to lose its snug fit around the egg by the time you fry.
- The Egg Rolls should be fried on medium heat. Frying on high heat will prevent the Egg Roll from cooking on the inside. Don’t worry the Egg Roll will not get soggy in the Oil as long as the Oil is not cold.
- Use enough oil to deep fry in other to get the best result.
- You can also bake this if you choose to, but the Egg Roll will not be as soft on the inside as the deep-fried one.
Just like the Scotch Egg, the African Egg roll is deep-fried and also very easy to make. However, a key to achieving great success in making this recipe lies in the preparation of the dough; the dough will be a little wet and soft and a bit hard to work with, don’t be too concerned about that at this stage. By the time the dough is left to rest for about 15 to 20 minutes, it will turn out well. Though it will still be soft, however, it will be more manageable. If you use the exact measurements below, you will get exactly what you see here.
- 2 Cups of Flour
- 1 Egg to mix with the flour
- A teaspoon of Baking powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoon of Margarine
- 8-9 Tablespoon of Water
- 5 Boiled Eggs
- 2 Tablespoon of Sugar
African Egg Roll Recipe Instructions
- In a large bowl, mix together the Flour, Baking powder, Salt, Sugar and Nutmeg
- Use your fingers to blend the Margarine into the flour until it’s crumbly.
- Add the beaten egg and mix together. The dough should look dry at this point.
- Begin to introduce the water a little at a time and work the dough till the dough is soft and sticky but still workable.
- work the dough for about a minute then cover it and let it rest for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Work the dough again for a couple of seconds to a minute and divide it into 5.
- Tightly wrap each of the dough around each Egg.
- Fry on a medium heat turning over and over again until it’s golden brown.
- Serve your Egg Roll hot or warm. Enjoy
For general fashion and lifestyle inspiration on Instagram, tap that Follow button – @stylishgwin_africa
See also: How To Cook Nigerian Black Soup
Looking for a custom-made style for you, your wife/hubby or kids? We’re here for you..! Contact us today to have us tailor a dress for you.